Thursday, March 7, 2013

Dialogues/Action/Conflict

 Agenda:  Today we will be working on creating a dialogue between your central character and someone else (perhaps an antagonist?)

Remember that DRAMA requires CONFLICT.

Take out your character questionnaire and fill out Section 2 and 3.

Let's read one of the dialogues below out loud.

On loose leaf paper, try to write a dialogue between your character and someone else.

Tomorrow, we will be in this room again, but next week we will be in the library lab working on our books!


Sample Dialogues
Dialogues are conversations between two or more people and are written in the style of a play or drama.

Sample 1- Dependability   “Life in a Fast Food Restaurant”

Jesse just arrives at the fast food restaurant for his shift.
Manager:  Jesse, I’ve been meaning to talk to you.  Do you have a second?
Jesse:  Sure Mike, What’s up?
Manager:  Let’s go back to the office and sit down before you get into uniform for your shift.
Jessie:  OK!
(Jesse thinks to himself that he is really in trouble now but goes back to the manager’s office
and sits down.)

Manager:  I was just doing the payroll for the last pay period and I noticed that you signed in

 more than 15 minutes late on 3 out of your last 6 shifts.  Are you having a problem getting

here after school?

Jesse:  Well, yes, I have been having some trouble with my math class which is last period and sometimes I have to stay a few minutes after class to be sure I understand the homework assignment.  That causes me to miss the first bus so I have to wait for the next one and that is what is causing me to be late.
Manager:  I’m sorry you are having problems with your math class but you have to understand that I have a business to run and when you show up late it is an inconvenience to the other workers who sometimes have to stay overtime until you get here.  What do you suggest we do to try to solve this problem? The bottom line is I need you here and ready to work when your shift starts.
Jesse:  I guess I will just have to forget about math and bust out as soon as the bell rings so I can make that first bus. I’m sorry I’ve let you down a few times.  I really need this part time job so I won’t let it happen again.
Manager:  Why not see if your teacher is available at lunch or nutrition or before school so you can get your questions answered then.  Math is an important class for anyone like yourself who is thinking of going into business.  We want you to be successful at school and at work, OK?
Jesse:  Yep, I’ve got to make some adjustments, so I can get here on time and not inconvenience my co-workers and let you down.  Thanks, Mike for talking with me, instead of just firing me.
Manager: Just consider this a warning and I’ll be doing payroll again in two weeks so I will keep a close eye on your time card.  But I think you know what you have to do, and you will do it. I wouldn’t expect anything less from you.
Jesse: Thanks again, Mike, I guess I better hustle and get changed.  I see the customers are lining up


Sample 2- Willingness to Learn   “Life in an Office”

Maria just arrives to her after school office assistant’s job.
Nancy (the office manager):  Hi Maria, I’m glad you could get here right after school today cause I’ve got a ton of filing for you to do.
Maria:  Oh great, looks like we will all be here late again tonight. Guess I better get busy.
Nancy:  The IT manager was just down here to let me know that they are going to be converting all the office computers to a new system.  That should turn our lives upside down for a while.
Maria:  Wow, and I was just hoping that I could spend some time learning the current system.
Nancy:  He did say that the company that we are getting the new hardware and software from is going to be offering some training classes. Are you interested?
Maria:  Of yes, that would be a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor and have equal knowledge with the rest of the office staff.  Count me in.  When are the trainings?
Nancy:  Well, unfortunately most of them are going to be next week in the mornings when you are in school, so you can’t go to those but they are having all day training downtown at headquarters in two Saturdays.
Maria:  Oh no, that is my little sisters birthday and I promised her that I would take her to a new movie. (pause) Well maybe if I talk to her we can do it on Sunday instead so I can take advantage of the computer training.  How do I sign up for the Saturday class?
Nancy:  I’ll e-mail your registration for you and give you all the details when they come in. And by the way the company will pay you your hourly rate for taking the class on Saturday.  You may just be looking at a promotion after your graduation!  We really appreciate the way you always want to learn new things about the company and how we run this office.
Maria:  Thanks for letting me know about it. I’d do it for free just to get the experience but if they want to pay me too that is a real bonus.  I want to get as many new skills as I can so I can get that raise by this summer.
Nancy:  You’re a real go-getter; so let me shut up so you can get going on that filing.

What Happens Next

Description
One player in the middle, the others sit aside. Any person can give the middle player a task, which she performs, and then she asks `What happens next` ? Any player may suggest what needs to happen next, but the idea is for the group to construct a coherent story.
Notes
The player in the middle should only and strictly be doing what she`s told; it is up to the players at the side to construct the story. Also known as And Then.

No comments:

Post a Comment